The General Motors Foundation and Chevrolet will serve as the Dedication Chair and Dedication Co-Chair is The Tommy Hilfiger Corporate Foundation. Dedication Vice Chairs include Aetna, Boeing, BP, Coca-Cola, Delta Air Lines, GE McDonalds,
Washington (August 4, 2011) – Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Berry Gordy, Jr., George Lucas, Jamie Foxx and Clarence Avant will serve as celebrity co-chairs for the Dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial in Washington, D.C. next month. The Memorial, the first on the National Mall to honor a man of peace, hope, and color, will be dedicated on August 28 in a West Potomac Park ceremony on the 48th anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. King’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech.
Members of the King Family, civil rights leaders including Congressman John Lewis, Ambassador Andy Young, Reverend Al Sharpton, Reverend Jesse Jackson, and Reverend Joseph Lowery, and Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar will play a role in several events in the nation’s capital to celebrate the Memorial’s dedication August 24 through 28. Former Secretary of Labor Alexis Herman, General Colin Powell, Tom Brokaw, Maya Angelou, Alpha Phi Alpha General President Herman “Skip” Mason, Jr., Tommy Hilfiger, General Motors Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson, leaders of the faith-based community and more will participate in Dedication Week events. President Barack Obama will deliver remarks during the August 28 Dedication Ceremony.
“We deeply appreciate the support of Stevie, Aretha, Berry, George, Jamie, and Clarence, leaders from the entertainment community, who believe in and portray Dr. King’s universal messages of democracy, hope, justice, and love,” said Harry E. Johnson, Sr., president and CEO of the Washington, DC Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation, Inc. “The Dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial has been long-awaited, and people from around the world are coming to experience this tremendous, historic moment. We are excited to welcome them all.”
The General Motors Foundation and Chevrolet will serve as the Dedication Chair and Dedication Co-Chair is The Tommy Hilfiger Corporate Foundation. Dedication Vice Chairs include Aetna, Boeing, BP, Coca-Cola, Delta Air Lines, GE McDonalds, Travelers, and Wal-Mart Stores.
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial will be dedicated on August 28 at 11 a.m. A pre-dedication program will commence at 8:45 a.m. and a post-dedication concert will follow the ceremony. Dedication Week events include:
- Honoring Global Leaders for Peace International Salute Gala: In celebration of Dr. King’s quest for worldwide equality and peace and in tribute to international leaders who share that commitment.
- Honoring Past, Present Future Pioneers Civil Rights Pioneers Luncheon: In recognition of those who dared to stand with Dr. King, those who dare to stand for the dream today, and those who dare future generations to continue to stand for social justice and equality.
- Partners in the Dream Public Expo: Information booths, performances, and a tribute to the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., free and open to the public.
- The Message in the Music Concert of Civil Rights Era Music: Entertainment artists will perform legendary sounds of the Civil Rights Movement inspiring hope, strength, and change.
- Women Who Dare to Dream Luncheon Honoring Women Civil Rights Leaders: Honoring the women of the Civil Rights Movement whose legacy of strength and dignity continues to inspire hope and special tribute to Coretta Scott King.
- Interfaith Prayer Service: In recognition of faith as a guiding source for Dr. King’s mission, life, and legacy.
- Dream Keepers Encouraging Future Leaders Youth Symposium: Afternoon forum inspiring youth to spread Dr. King’s universal, timeless messages and to live to their potential.
- The Celebration Dream Gala: A gala salute and momentous celebration honoring those whose support has made the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial a reality.