Keep germs away for this season.
CLEVELAND – It’s the holiday season and the time of year when families travel and gather to celebrate. In addition to spreading the joy of the season some people may be spreading germs. Here are some tips to help prevent the spread of flu and other illnesses:
1. Wash your hands!
2. Get your flu vaccination (The best way to prevent getting the flu).
3. Stay home if you feel sick.
4. Cover your coughs and sneezes by using a tissue. If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze in your upper sleeve or elbow, not your hands.
5. If you are sick do not handle or prepare food for others.
6. Wash clothes that have been soiled by vomit and/or diarrhea.
7. Use bleach to clean solid surfaces (1/2 cup of bleach for every gallon of water).
8. Drink lots of water.
9. Get plenty of rest.
When to your wash hands
1. Before, during, and after preparing food.
2. Before eating food.
3. Before and after caring for someone who is sick.
4. After using the toilet.
5. After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet.
6. After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
7. After touching an animal or animal waste.
How to properly wash your hands
1. Wash your hands using soap and warm water for at least twenty (20) seconds.
2. After washing your hands use a paper towel to turn off the faucet and to open the bathroom door.
3. Use hand sanitizer when water is not available.
CDPH wants the citizens of the City of Cleveland to have a safe, healthy and happy holiday season. For more information contact CDPH at (216) 664-4621 or (216) 664-3747. You can also visit our website at www.clevelandhealth.org.