Meals by Maxine
9/19/2013, 11:51 a.m.
As the cooler nights of Cleveland's fall season moves in on us, it is the perfect time to invest a few minutes in the kitchen. A short trip to the grocery store and voila...your family will go wild about an world recipe with a history of bringing smiles to the faces of families everywhere.
Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 ½ Hours
Makes: 5 Servings (about 7 cups)
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 12 ounces beef stew meet, cut into ¾ inch thick cubes
• 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
• 3 cups of vegetable juice
• 1 cup of water
• 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 ½ teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• ½ teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 cups cubed potatoes (about 3 medium)
• 1 ½ cups frozen cut green beans
• 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
• 1 cup sliced carrots (2 medium)
Step 1. Place flour in a plastic bag. Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat. In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven brown meat in hot oil; drain fat. Stir in vegetable juice, water , onion, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, oregano, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 1 to 1 ¼ hours or until meat is nearly tender.
Step 2. Stir in potatoes, green beans, corn and carrots. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Crockery cooker directions: Prepare and brown meat as in step 1. In a 3 ½ to 4 quart crockery cooker layer meat, onion, potatoes, green beans, corn and carrots. Decrease vegetable juice to two (2) cups. Combine vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, oregano, marjoram, pepper and bay leaf. Pour mixture over meat and vegetables in crockery cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours or cook on high setting for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetable are tender.
(*) Nutrition Facts per serving: 331 cal., 13 g total fat (4 g. sat. fat) 43 mg. chol., 744 mg sodium, 36 g carbo., 6 g fiber, 18 g pro.
Daily Values: 162% vit. A, 97% vit C, 6% calcium, 21% iron.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 2 Starch, 1 ½ Medium-Fat Meat, ½ Fat.