The Historic League Park is now open
James W. Wade III | 8/23/2014, 4:20 p.m.
Today marked a great day in the Ward 7 Hough area with the grand opening of the Historic League Park. The $6 million revitalization of League Park started at the beginning of this year and was a long time vision of the former councilwoman Fannie Lewis.
This great park was dedicated to Lewis memory and includes a nice size bust of her. Part of the renovations at League Park include a museum, the historic ticket house which has been refurbished, a big green wall in right field, a walking track and a community room.
The track came from various residents wanting to have the park be useful for many in the neighborhood. Ward 7 Councilman TJ Dow and other leader worked hard to make this park become a reality.
“When these kids go up we want them to come to the same place that Babe Ruth came to hit, and we want where Satchel Paige came to pitch , we wanted our pitcher to be on that same mound,” Dow said.
One of the Cleveland Indians great Andre Thornton served as the MC and other members from the Indians association were there including President Mark Shapiro and Senior Vice President Bob DiBiasio.
League Park is a baseball park located in Cleveland, Ohio, United States. It was situated at the northeast corner of Lexington Avenue and E. 66th Street in the Hough neighborhood. It was home to the Major League Baseball National League Cleveland Spiders, the Western League Cleveland Lakeshores, the Major League Baseball American League Cleveland Bluebirds/Blues,Cleveland Broncos/Bronchos, Cleveland Naps, and Cleveland Indians, and the Negro American League Cleveland Buckeyes.
Most of the structure was demolished in 1951, but thanks to city leaders and Councilman TJ Dow it’s open again and ready to play ball.