JET Magazine releases its final print issue
JET app will launch June 30
News Desk | 6/6/2014, 11:46 a.m.
CHICAGO — JET magazine will release its final print issue, hitting newsstands on June 9.
The cover of the last issue salutes JET magazine’s iconic history by featuring images of previous covers throughout the past 63 years. Inside, readers will find a retrospective of the news covered in the magazine dating from 1951 to the present. Coverage includes:
• A letter from President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama
• A tribute to the late Maya Angelou
• Recognition of some the biggest celebrities on the pages of JET, such as Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Bill Cosby, Whitney Houston, Spike Lee, Diana Ross, Halle Berry, Beyoncé, Tyler Perry and more
• A montage of the best JET beauties and the best of the “Week’s Best Photo”
• The top music albums from the 1950s to the present
• Fashion and style influences over the years
• Coverage of African-American history, from the civil rights movement to a special investigative report on missing Black children
“This issue serves as the final bow to everything JET has done over the years,” stated Mitzi Miller, the former editor-in-chief of JET magazine, now editor-in-chief of EBONY. “From politics to entertainment, JET magazine has had a tremendous impact on society and shaping conversations within the African-American community,” she added. “I’m very proud of the work I’ve accomplished over the past three years, and excited to see JET now continue this tradition in a digital platform.”
“I am very proud of this last issue of JET magazine,” said Linda Johnson Rice, the chairman of Johnson Publishing Company (JPC). “It epitomizes the historical influence this magazine has made in this country,” she continued. “For those who grew up with the magazine, they will find this issue a collection of treasured memories, and a younger audience will see it as the guide that reveals the cultural influences of today.”
JET is launching a new weekly digital magazine app to address the needs of its readers to get information quickly and easily. The new app, scheduled to launch June 30, will be available on all tablet devices and mobile platforms. The content will feature breaking news and strong entertainment content, along with politics, pop culture and social issues that impact African-Americans, as well as a new EBONY/JET digital store.