Call and Post

Homicides in Cleveland rise to 34

James W. Wade III | 5/14/2014, 9:19 a.m.

Cleveland’s crime rate is getting bad, maybe not as bad as Chicago, and it is getting worst with the passing of each month. To date, there have been 34.

Not only are the men committing crimes, a lot of females wreaking havoc too. When you look at fights in high schools and see the girl gangs are bigger and causing more trouble, it makes you stop and wonder what’s going on.

The days of having a fist fight has long gone. Now, if you are not carrying a gun, I guess you are not considered cool. It’s bad enough men have jumped on women in the past but now they have started shooting them.

Monday night, a 22 year old woman was shot in the area of E.123rd near Ohlman Avenue. This incident happened at approximately 8 p.m. The investigation reveals officers received a call to respond the area of E.110 and St. Clair in connection with a shooting. Upon arrival, officers located the victim who had suffered a gunshot wound to the face as well as a male companion.

When the police arrived, the victim was conscious and alert. The victim and witness indicated that they were in the area waiting or looking for a friend when they were approached by a male. After a verbal altercation, the male suspect shot the victim.

The victim and witness were able to provide a description and, a short time later, officers located a male fitting that description in the area where the incident occurred. After a short foot pursuit, the male was arrested and a weapon recovered.

Last week, on E. 150th and Judson, officers arrived and found victim Tavon Hogan, 18. Hogan suffered a gunshot wound to his abdomen. Witnesses state Hogan was involved in a fight with another male when that male shot Hogan. Suspect fled the scene. Hogan was uncooperative with officers on scene.

Hogan was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center by EMS and listed as being in stable condition. Further investigation revealed Hogan had felony warrants in connection with burglary. Hogan was arrested and will remain in police custody during his medical treatment. At this time, there are no arrests in connection with this incident.

The same night around the same time on the other side of town at E.123 and St. Clair Officers responded to a call for shots fired and found a 33 year male with 3 gunshot wounds to his leg.